Scientifically Accurate (or thereabouts) Motorized Solar System
Orrery there yet?
- See relative orbital periods of inner vs. outer planets
- Study and enjoy 38 constellations on your walls/ceiling
- Feel like the center of the universe in the comfort of your own house
Orrery there yet?The night sky and the cosmos have been calling to us since the dawn of humanity. Long before we discovered we are not, in fact, the center of the universe, we have been cataloging stars and other celestial phenomena. Carl Sagan's observation that "astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience" remains apt as new discoveries bring us tantalizing new puzzles to solve (TRAPPIST-1! A Jupiter-sized star 39 light-years distant with seven Earth-sized planets, three within the star's habitable zone?! Clearly we are still relative n00bs, here.) The universe is even more exciting than we thought. And we thought it was pretty dang exciting to begin with.
Learn more about our own solar system with the Scientifically Accurate (or thereabouts) Motorized Solar System. This mechanical model of the solar system, an orrery, illustrates the fundamentals of planetary motion. With the included star dome, you can also light up your walls and ceiling with 38 constellations. A full-color constellation guide is included.
- Scientifically Accurate (or thereabouts) Motorized Solar System
- Geared to display the relative orbital periods of inner versus outer planets
- With star dome, serves as a 38-constellation planetarium-style projector
- Sun dome with LED
- Eight planets (fans of Pluto, show us how you accommodated everybody's favorite dwarf planet in the comments)
- Earth's moon (glued to model Earth for simplicity or to simulate a great calamity)
- Asteroid belt (built into the base) between Mars and Jupiter
- Star dome for projecting the constellations
- 28-page constellation guide
- Batteries: 4 AA batteries (not included)
- Auto-off after 20 minutes preserves the batteries
- Dimensions: 13 1/2" x 10" x 6 1/2"
- Weight: 3 lbs.
- Ages 8+
- WARNING - SMALL PARTS - Not intended for children under 3 years of age