Cooking for Geeks Cookbook
Cook with SCIENCE!
- Learn about all the science going on in your kitchen as you cook.
- Use and abuse this science to make your cooking more awesome.
- Eat your results!
Are you the innovative type, the cook who marches to a different drummer? Are you used to expressing your creativity instead of just following recipes? Are you interested in the science behind what happens to food while it's cooking? Do you want to learn what makes a recipe work so you can improvise and create your own unique dish? Do you enjoy paragraphs made only of questions? Read on, then?
Cooking for Geeks is more than just a cookbook. It applies your curiosity to discovery, inspiration, and invention in the kitchen. You'll learn all sorts of things, such as:
- Why medium-rare steak is so popular.
- Why we bake some things at 350° F/175° C and others at 375° F/190° C.
- How quickly a pizza will cook if we overclock an oven to 1,000° F/540° C.
- How to initialize your kitchen and calibrate your tools.
- Important reactions in cooking, such as protein denaturation, Maillard reactions, and caramelization, and how they impact the foods we cook.
- How to play with your food using hydrocolloids and sous vide cooking.
- And loads and loads more!
Cooking for Geeks is an excellent and intriguing resource for anyone who wants to experiment with cooking, even if you don't consider yourself a geek. You'll even learn from researchers, food scientists, knife experts, chefs - even Adam Savage weighs in! Time to kick it up a notch in the kitchen with Cooking for Geeks, some ingredients, and a heaping helping of SCIENCE!