iCADE - iPad Arcade Cabinet
Didn't think you needed an iPad? Think again!
- ThinkGeek April Fools product comes to life!
- Authentic retro arcade joystick and buttons
- Classic games available through the App Store
When the iPad was announced, we all crammed into a conference room to watch live and drool over every shiny corner and reflecty icon. After the glow of the initial announcement wore off, many of us came to the conclusion that the iPad was actually pretty useless. "It's a giant iPhone!" some said. Others exclaimed, "WTF, no Flash!?". Still, we knew that most Apple fanbots (us included) would have to have one anyway.
Knowing that many of our loyal geeky customers would eventually get their retractable claws on an iPad at some point, we knew we needed to take it to the next level. What cool things could we do with the iPad that you, our lovely geek customers, would squee over? A few brainstorming sessions later, the idea of a MAME cabinet came up and we knew we'd struck gold. How cool would it be to slide your iPad into a desktop-sized arcade cabinet and rock it old school with some Battlezone or Tempest?
Enter the iCADE iPad Arcade Cabinet! To use the iCade, gently slide the iPad into the cradle. The iCADE uses Bluetooth to connect to the iPad so there's nothing else you need to do. You're ready to "insert coin" and game on!
To bring the iCADE to life, ThinkGeek has partnered with ION. Atari, the first name in classic arcade games, also signed up to bring a huge suite of classic arcade titles including Asteroids to market with iCADE support built right in.
Atari's Greatest Hits Download Required for iCade
Atari's Greatest Hits brings the best of retro gaming to iOS with 100 Classic Atari Games. This suite brings you the hottest Arcade and 2600 titles from Atari. For those who love the classic gaming experience this handheld breakthrough is sure to guarantee hours of fun. Fully compatible with the iCADE.
- Beautifully retro-styled tabletop arcade cabinet for your otherwise useless iPad
- iPad connects to the iCADE controls via Bluetooth
- "Atari Greatest Hits" iPad App ready to go with the iCADE, including support for over 100 classic Atari games.
- Atari App comes with Missile Command for free, other games available for in-app purchase. 3-game packs are $1. All 100 games are $14.99
- Compatible with all iPad models (Original iPad, iPad 2 and New iPads(iPad 3 & 4))
- Ships separately in packaging that lists the product name on the outside
In addition to the 100 classic Atari favorites, numerous iOS developers have built in iCADE support. In all, over 150 apps have announced support for the iCADE standard. It's hard to keep up with all the games being released, but we've compiled a list of some of the best right here - iCADE Games List
Are you an iOS developer? - If you're supporting the iCADE, let us know about it! Just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Official ION Documentation! - The team at ION has made their official iCADE Developers Resource available for download without an NDA and we're please to offer it here as well! iCADE Developers Resource [PDF].
- Stuart Carnie of manomio software has released an Open Source SDK for adding iCADE support to iOS apps. The open source iCADE SDK can be downloaded here.
iOS: If you've taken the step of Jailbreaking your iPad, the iMAME4all app adds MAME awesomeness to your iCADE gaming stack. While we can't recommend jailbreaking or unlicensed ROMs, we can certainly confirm that it does indeed work and it works quite well. :)
Android: By popular demand, Seleuco added iCADE support to MAME4droid
The iCADE uses the U.S. Hardware Keyboard Layout. International Users can switch their iPad to this layout by following thee steps:
- Launch Settings app on your iPad
- Select 'General'
- Select 'Keyboard'
- Select 'International Keyboards'
- Select (your keyboard language)
- Select 'English'
- Close Settings app
- The Hardware Keyboard can be switched back to your language of choice by following these directions and choosing your language in Step 6.
1UP BONUS: Printable iCADE gift card!
Announce the arrival of your iCADE in style! Click here to download the PDF iCADE Gift Card.