Utilitea Variable Temperature Kettle
Your green tea doesn't like water at 212 - it prefers 160!
- Durable stainless steel kettle
- Heats up to 30 ounces of water
- Precision temperature gauge for white, green, black and herbal teas
If you've landed on this page on purpose, there's a pretty good chance that one of your favorite methods of caffeine delivery doesn't necessarily include the boiling of roasted and ground beans in water. Don't get us wrong - coffee is still king of the wake-up juice, but sometimes steeping fermented leaves in hot water is a more civilized alternative.
What most folks don't realize is that tea is a delicate thing - you don't just throw leaves at a pot of boiling water - there's subtlety involved, mostly around brewing temperature. See, your typical Assam black Tea needs water in a rolling boil, about 212 degrees Fahrenheit. If you tried to use the same brewing temperature for white tea, though, you'd be left with a less-than-perfect cup. Water that's too hot leaves an over-extracted bitter brew that's unpleasant and strong. 180 is optimal, but even that temp is too high for the most green teas. You want something more along the lines of 150 to 175, tops.
Watching a boiling pot of water for the perfect temperature is a suboptimal use of your time. You could use a robot or something to make sure your water doesn't get too hot for your tea of choice. Luckily, this kettle has a built-in thermostat that lets you choose just how hot your brewing water gets before pouring.
So, if you're a tea junkie, and know your rooibos from your lapsang souchong, you're going to want to up your game to the next level by making your tea at the proper temperature.
- Electric stainless-steel kettle with innovative temperature-control system
- Perfect for heating water to the right temperature for green and black teas
- Quickly heats up to 30 ounces of water; concealed heating element
- Cordless carafe; water-level gauge; power indicator light; flip-top lid button
- Measures approximately 8-1/5 by 6-4/5 by 9-1/5 inches