Hyperkin RetroN 5 Gaming System
Get Your Retro Game On
- The ultimate system for an old-school gamer
- 5 cartridge slots: NES, SNES, Genesis, Famicom, Game Boy Advance
- Give classic games new life with audio & video upscaling
Purchase Limited to 2 Per Customer
This item is excluded from the current site promotion.
The Hyperkin RetroN 5. The system that Joystiq describes as "kind of bananas." Let's talk about the important stuff. The Hyperkin RetroN 5 Gaming System specs:
It's called the RetroN 5 because it has 5 cartridge slots: one each for NES, SNES, Genesis, Famicom, and Game Boy Advance cartridges. You can play your original cartridges for any of these systems. You can also plug in Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy cartridges as well.
Region locks and compatibility are no longer an issue. The RetroN 5 will play both PAL and NTSC cartridges. The aim is 100% compatibility with all cartridges for no problems with CIC lockout chips and FX chips.
The RetroN has standard HDMI output, a USB port to allow for charging of the wireless controller, and an AC Adapter to power up the system,
But, you might say, why would I want to watch graphics from the 80s on my HDTV? The RetroN 5 up converts the video signal to show clearer and cleaner images, with vibrant colors on an HDTV with a resolution output of up to 720p through the use of shaders. You can also select the aspect ratio via the GUI, from the standard 4:3 to the HD ratio of 16:9.
And audio output quality is better, as well. Using audio interpolation, the RetroN 5 creates new samples between the originals for a smoother, crisper sound output than the original sound.
The RetroN 5 comes with a Bluetooth wireless controller, allowing for a playable distance of a minimum of 15 feet without losing sync from the console. This new controller has a Microswitch Directional Pad instead of a traditional directional pad. In addition there are 6 face buttons, two shoulder buttons, a start and select button, 4 LED light indicators to display the player number, a Home button, and two programmable Macro buttons. The controller has a rechargeable lithium ion battery than can be charged through any USB port via the micro USB cable.
Along the sides of the console are controller ports for the SNES, Genesis, and NES, totalling 6 controller ports, so you can use your original controller or plug a different one in. Want use a SNES controller to play Genesis games? You can do that.
The RetroN 5 has its own UI that allows for customization and a few special features. For instance, whether or not the original system allowed it, the RetroN 5 allows players to save their games at any point during gameplay and features an autosave feature upon shutdown.
Players can also assign buttons through the interface on both the RetroN's controller or their original controllers, and the RetroN 5 saves these custom layouts, so that players will not have to constantly reconfigure the buttons.
Through the GUI, players can also control manual and passive overclocking, giving the ability to speed up or slow down your games as you see fit.
It's your games from 20 years ago brought up to today.
- The ultimate system for an old-school gamer
- 5 cartridge slots: NES, SNES (and Super Famicom), Genesis (and Mega Drive), Famicom, Game Boy Advance (and Game Boy Color and Game Boy)
- Output: USB port to allow for charging of the wireless controller, an AC Adapter to power up the system, and a HDMI output for HDTV connectivity
- Bluetooth wireless controller with Microswitch Directional Pad, 6 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, a start and select button, 4 LED light indicators to display the player number, a Home button, and 2 programmable Macro buttons
- 6 controller ports: 2 x SNES, 2 x Genesis, and 2 x NES
- Universal chipset so region locks and compatibility aren't an issue
- Up converts video signal and does audio interpolation to provide better than original experience
- Batteries: Bluetooth wireless controller has rechargeable lithium ion battery than can be charged through any USB port via the micro USB cable
- Note: Retron 5 upgrades and improvements are available via firmware updates. Using the latest version will have a positive impact on console performance. If you need assistance checking your firmware version or upgrading it, visit the Retron 5 FAQ page
Wanna chat about it?
Have questions about Hyperkin RetroN 5 Gaming System or your order? We monitor these comments daily, but it may be faster to email us directly or call us at 1-888-GEEKSTUFF.