This contest has ended!
Congratulations to our GeekDad winner, Tim from Blountville, TN, and our surprise runner up, Alex from Jersey City, NJ! They've been contacted about their winningness, and we're sorry, but if you are not one of those two, you are still a winnar in our books--just not one with prizes.
Ken Denmead, editor of GeekDad, is on to something when he describes using the Force to lead kids down a geeky path:
After reading that we figured it was time to do something special for geeky fathers: The Ultimate Geek Dad giveaway.
Coming up with the right prize package was tough. We asked our resident Geek Dads what they'd like for Father's Day and heard the usual grumbling about rocket launchers, a desktop DARPA BigDog, or just a simple way to handle Facebook privacy.
The first two were no problem, but that last one was going to be a pretty tall order so we settled for this Grand Prize:
- Choice of game system (Xbox, PS3 slim, or Wii--sorry, no cash equivalents or other platforms available)
- $100 Gift card from Gamestop to load up on games
- 16GB iPad with wi-fi
- $100 iTunes gift card for appage
- Signed copy of Ken Denmead's GeekDad book
- GeekDad t-shirt
- $500 ThinkGeek gift certificate (you know, just in case)
- Update 6/8: **NEW** TiVo Premiere! Our friends at TiVo heard about the giveaway and asked to drop a new TiVo Premiere on the stack! W00t!
All of this loot goes to the grand prize winner, who doesn't technically have to be a father, but handing over a prize package like this to your dear old dad is a sure way to secure your spot in the will. While you're asking, you may want to check out the legalese.
Non-US update!: Oh, and by the way, peoples of distant lands (currently just Canada, excluding Quebec)--you'll be responsible for the taxes and duties on the prize, if customs decides to charge you. Sorry, but we have no control over that.
The contest ends Friday, June 11th, 2010 at 11:59pm ET, and the winner will be announced on Monday, June 14th.
Don't forget: Father's Day is on June 20th this year. Geek Dads ftw!