Happy 17th Anniversary, Buffy the Vampire Slayer!
Our favorite vampire-slaying TV show & Joss Whedon production premiered today in 1997. Ah, good ol' Sunnydale: Come for the food, stay for the dismemberment. To celebrate, our Buffy Rewatch 2k14 begins tonight! Starting off with our favorite episodes, of course. Here are some of the favorites of the monkeys at ThinkGeek World Domination HQ:
Season 4, Episode 4: "Fear, Itself"
"'Fear, Itself,' entirely for the "actual size" moment just before the demon appears and Giles crushes him with his shoe."
- Michael C., Code Monkey
Season 2, Episode 1: "When She Was Bad"
"My favorite episode of Buffy is the first episode of Season 2. Or at least I'm sure it will be as soon as I watch it. It will be my favorite because then it will mean that I've gotten past Season 1... after years of trying."
- Harrison, Geek Labs Monkey
Season 4, Episode 10: "Hush"
"'Hush' episode when the men and the straight-jacket demons were silently going by the window and standing over the bed for the absolute creepiness and when the Scoobies were trying to communicate without words for the Buffyness of it."
- Fred, Engineering Monkey
Season 6, Episode 7: "Once More, with Feeling"
"Because who doesn't love musicals?!"
- Lily, Social Media Monkey
Season 3, Episode 21 & 22: "Graduation Day"
"I had a rough time with Buffy at the beginning, mainly because I was so enamored of the kitschy movie version. *hides behind anti-riot shield until the rocks stop* In order to enjoy it, I needed to be able to think of the TV show as a completely different entity. I think I came back to it through adoring Willow and Oz's characters. Probably my favorite episode was Graduation Day (which is cheating since I get two that way), the culmination of their high school experience, which is a turning point in so many ways for the series."
- Regan, Copy Monkey aka Defender of the Oxford Comma
Season 7, Episode 5: "Selfless"
"It's kind of impossible to pick a favorite, but I love Anya so I'm going to go with the Anya-centric episode in season 7, "Selfless," for the following moments:
- The scenes in ancient Scandinavia: Emma Caufield's pre-Anya Aud is pretty genius. Not only do we get to watch all of her familiar quirks manifest as genuine sweetness, but we get to hear some crazy version of Swedish, we finally get a bunnies reference, and we get to read some hilarious subtitles (including a quote from a townsperson along the lines of "attack him with fruit and random meat.")
- Anya's "Mrs" song: A flashback that's actually a new scene from the also incredible "Once More, with Feeling" episode. So funny, so classic Anya, and so heartbreaking for what we already know will never be.
- Buffy and Anya's fight scene: It's a fight. Between Buffy and Anya. It's great.
- Anya's "sacrifice": an emotionally raw ending that made me love the character even more!"
- David, Director Monkey