When we first launched our iCADE retro cabinet for iPads on April 1, 2010, we knew it would have a few fans, but we weren't expecting the level of demand... and the piles of hate email when people realized it was all an April Fool's Day joke. Whoops!
So we were very pleased--and relieved, because some of those hate emails included threats--when we were really, actually able to make it available in 2011. Developers showed support right off, updating and creating games that were compatible with the iCADE. (Our full list is below.)
But that wasn't enough for some of you Apple users. No, you wanted a smaller version that fits iPhones and would support handheld button-mashing and a wee little coin slot just for old time's sake.
Get your stack of itty-bitty quarters ready because the iCADE Jr. is (almost) here!
Standing about 6" high and featuring a joystick, 4 buttons on the front, and 4 trigger buttons on the back, the iCADE Jr. will bring your miniature iPhone or iPod arcade to life via Bluetooth--and it makes a great stand, too, because it includes a pass-through for your charging cable. We'll have it in the spring.
What can you play on your iPhone-sized iCADE? There's a list for that. In addition to Atari's package, here are links to games with either released or announced support for the iCADE:
- Muffin Knight - Angry Mob Games
- Minotron: 2112 - Llamasoft
- Velocispider - Retro Dreamer
- No Gravity - Realtech VR
- Super Mega Worm - Deceased Pixel LLC
- Space Inversion - Silverline Arts
- Sideways Racing - Bjango
- Emerald Mine - Les Bird
- Freeesh - Realtech VR
- Commodore 64 - Manomio LLC
- The Exterminator - SUMO Productions
- IronStar Arena - Appracatappra, LLC.
- Compression HD - Little White Bear Studios, LLC
- Mos Speedrun - Physmo
- Warblade HD - Edgar Vigdal
- Plum Crazy - Claymore Games
- HungryMaster - xionchannel
- Cyborg Livestock - PopArcade
- Space Inversion 2. - Silverline Arts
- Stardash - OrangePixel
- Super Drill Panic - OrangePixel
- GoatUp - Llamasoft
- Minotaur Rescue - Llamasoft
- Bob's Action Racing - VariaMedia GmbH
- Silverfish MAX - Chaotic Box
- Match Panic - Chaotic Box
- Retroid - Flat Black Films
- Box Cat - Rusty Moyher
- Fruity The Snake HD - 22Moo
- AirAttack HD - Art In Games
- Temple Run - Imangi Studios, LLC
- Haunted Hallway - UNCADE
- HyperBowl - Technicat, LLC
- Battlestation: Quixotic - CrushCrumble
- Jungool - Headsoft
- Influx - Half Fast Games
If you're an iOS developer supporting the iCADE--or if you think we've missed a game above--let us know! Just email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a note in the comments.
- Official ION Documentation [PDF]: The team at ION has made their official iCADE Developers Resource available for download without an NDA and we're pleased to offer it here as well.
- Stuart Carnie of manomio software has released an Open Source SDK for adding iCADE support to iOS apps. The open source iCADE SDK can be downloaded here.
- iOS: If you've taken the step of Jailbreaking your iPad, the iMAME4all app adds MAME awesomeness to your iCADE gaming stack. While we can't recommend jailbreaking or unlicensed ROMs, we can certainly confirm that it does indeed work and it works quite well. UPDATE 1/12/12: Developer Matthias Ringwald just released Blutrol, an application for jailbroken iOS devices that maps iCADE's physical buttons to on-screen presses.
- Android: By popular demand, Seleuco added iCADE support to MAME4droid.