So. One day we got this nice tweet from some guy about how our Akira-inspired catalog cover was really awesome. Turns out this guy is not only really nice, but he's amassed quite a collection of Akira cels and original production art from the movie.
So we get to tweeting about maybe him coming out here to ThinkGeek HQ and doing a show, and he mentions how it would be neat-o if singer-songwriter-awesome-show-giver Marian Call played the same day. Lo, she replied, and it was good: "How about late June?"
And so the Marian Call Outdoor Concert and Art of Akira Exhibit-Show-Geekout came to be scheduled for Friday, June 24th. Thank you, Twitter.
Tickets will be $15 and will go on sale on Marian's site, right on the homepage, starting at 3pm ET on Tuesday, May 24th. Update 6/2: TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT. If you missed out and would like to be waitlisted, you can email replybot at thinkgeek.com with "Marian" in the subject line, your desired ticket amount, and if you'd be okay getting less tickets than you want. We'll be in touch via email and if you get added from the waitlist, you'll pay $15 at the door. Don't forget to RSVP to the Facebook event page if you want to be social and stuff.
A little more on the main attractions:
Marian Call is lots of fun. We know because we've seen her at w00tstock and at a little show we held here at ThinkGeek last October. You can find her music at her archive, and she has a new album, Something Fierce, coming out this summer that you will have to buy. No, you will, trust us.
Joe Peacock is both owner and curator of Art of Akira Exhibit. He also happens to work for Fark.com and he writes books (both called Mentally Incontinent, with a third on the way) and does software for comic books (like Teenage Satan, which launches in September). If you are not familiar with Akira itself, get ye to Netflix.
Does this special kind of awesome appeal to you--and you live within acceptable meatspace margins? Here's what you need to know before purchasing tickets:
- ThinkGeek HQ is located at 11216 Waples Mill Road in Fairfax, Virginia. There is ample parking.
- Doors will open at 6:30pm, Marian will start playing in the outside courtyard around 7pm, and we should finish up by 10pm. The Art of Akira exhibit will be indoors throughout the show.
- There is no rain date, and our courtyard only has a few seating options. You should bring a blanket or chair if standing or sitting on grass is not an option for you.
- New-to-the-area food truck Stix is coming and has affordable, tasty, silverware-less grilled meats and veggie options for the discriminating grazer--so come hungry! Our friends at MapHook will provide water and soda so you'll be hydrated for free, but there won't be any alcohol on premises. And yes, Zaphod, that includes Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters.
- Tickets will be $15 and will go
on sale on Marian's site, right on the homepage, starting at 3pm ET on Tuesday, May 24th.Update 6/2: TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT. But if you missed the tickets and would like to be waitlisted, you can email replybot at thinkgeek.com with "Marian" in the subject line, your desired ticket amount, and if you'd be okay getting less tickets than you want. We'll be in touch via email and if you get added from the waitlist, you'll pay $15 at the door. All proceeds from the show will go towards her tour.
- The hashtag for the event is #TGMarianAkira. And yes, this gets its own bullet point.
If you can't be here for reals, you can watch the show on UStream here, starting at 7pm ET--and win stuff! Please note we will not be able to provide a virtual Timmy handstamp, however.
So get excited! We can't wait to have Marian, Akira, and you guys out to our little slice of the 'verse.