Apr
2011

How Not to Ship Chocolate Zombie Bunnies

We would like to apologize to everyone who ordered a Chocolate Zombie Bunny between 11:45am and 2:25pm ET on Wednesday, April 13.

We can be so accurate because that is exactly how long they were available before they sold out.

Some of those lucky zombie orderers started contacting us on Tuesday with some not so lucky news: the bunnies were a little more horrific than intended when delivered. In fact, some bunnies were completely melted and disfigured beyond even Walking Dead standards, while others were beheaded--and what's the fun in a zombie bunny that's already been double-tapped?

In other words, they were damaged in transit. Part of the blame goes to springtime rearing its pleasant, balmy head, plus white chocolate's relatively low bunny-melting point.

But there's a lot we could have done better with the packaging to prevent breakage, smearing, and eyeball loss. The boxes weren't deep enough to keep the bunnies from doing a faceplant into the plastic window, and the bunnies are so heavy they came unglued from the back, permitting maximum slippage.

Pair all that with less than ideal shipping conditions--placed loosely in a shipping box, then drop kicked by your friendly delivery guy--and you can see why the zombie bunnies had such a tough time. We may as well have shipped them with cricket bats.

We've learned from our first foray into the dangerous world of candy procurement, and future reincarnations of the Chocolate Zombie Bunny will be completely repackaged. This was a product spawned for April Fool's Day turned real in a rush, and needless to say we regret not taking the time to get it right.

So if you received only parts of a zombie bunny--or a puddle of zombie bunny, as it were--please grab your order number and let us know by calling 1-888-GEEKSTUFF, live chatting on the site, or emailing us and we'll refund your order, including shipping. And if you're on the East Coast (where it's still a little on the chilly side) and would like an unharmed replacement, we have less than 100 solid bunnies here at ThinkGeek HQ standing by.

We know that for the majority of you, that means no replacement bunnies in time for Easter, and that's especially frustrating because chocolate rabbits really only make sense once a year. We're really sorry about the timing and wish we were able to make a fix in time, but with the box upgrades and how long it takes to make the bunnies--well, we hope you'll forgive us for a less zombified basket this year.

That means you have 12 months to develop a full complement of tiny candy chainsaws, bats, machetes, and shotguns. One can never be too prepared.

Comments

meaningless icon! I didn't order a bunny, but I just have to say, a response like this is EXACTLY why I will continue to order from Think Geek! Way to go guys, you put so many other companies to shame, including geek companies I no longer purchase from. A+^infinity
FishRockette said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! All of the bunnies I ordered were damaged and I did receive a full refund...thank you! I managed to make the best out of the situation and made franken bunnies! I took the most damaged bunny and melted him down to weld the other broken bunny pieces together...used a little black gel icing and made some stitches and they were as good as new....err...dead! I emailed pix to your customer action shots of my franken bunny project! Thanks for your assistance with my order thinkgeek! Can't wait to see what the new breed of zombie bunnies will have in store! Xoxo
meltothev said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! meltothev, I just dug through the action shots inbox and your frankenbunnies look awesome! The stitches are a really nice touch and you can't tell that it shouldn't look like that. Thanks for applying your DIY spirit to our mistake and making it EVEN BETTER than if they'd arrived in one piece!
CarrieGouldin said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I didn't order one... but the image on the right would be perfect for my daughter!
ak_hepcat said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I don't know... I think the after is pretty awesome. You don't get to choose how your bunny is zombiefied! Some rot, some fall apart, some liquify. Seems pretty straightforward to me!
saram said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! This is why I will keep coming back to Think Geek. Awesome customer service, with a great sense of humour. Brilliant!
Zehava said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Fantastic customer service but I think that you meant to say "fewer" than 100 solid bunnies. (I'm a grammar geek, too. What can I do?)
meeshlr said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! As has been said, this is totally why I love and order from you guys!
Brekke said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! My zombie bunny arrived relatively unscathed... the only noticeably wrong thing was that its eye appeared to have popped off. (But hey, it's a zombie, I'm sure it won't be needing that, haha.) Therefore, I don't think I'll be asking for a refund, but I do GREATLY appreciate you guys for the lovely customer service that is regularly offered! Seeing how much you lovelies care always makes me smile. Many thanks! :D
ObliviousED said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! i didn’t order one either, but i just wanted to agree with the top comment that you guys are amazing at customer service. you guys are amazing!
rachaface said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! You guys are just awesome. Way to be on the ball and own up to your mistakes. Completely renews my faith in good customer service. Love you much, ThinkGeek!
LadyJKillington said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! This is why I spend all of my money on y'all, you make me /happyface no matter what!
CaptainSpunky said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! This is the year of the rabbit. Zombie bunnies work fine all the way through to January-ish next year. Hoping that revised-packaging bunnies are available later in 2011. Good for Halloween? Perfectly edible at Thanksgiving? Christmas presents for everyone?
nishime said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I vote next year you ship zombie peeps instead...
Ropal said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! The fact that it is the year of the rabbit means that I would buy a zombie bunny (if I only had a job....) at any point during this year. They would definitely be birthday gift material. Though I know that shipping chocolate between April and October is a very iffy proposition. I know that those who do so sometimes need to include ice-packs, insulation, and very fast shipping in order to have a chance at arriving in good shape.
DiBat said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Great Customer Service is always appreciated which in turn is good for repeat business. Keep up the good work
Tardicaca said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I have to say, a few of the rib bones chipped off, but on the whole, I <3 my chocolate zombie bunny. I ordered two, and there was minimal to no damage...and yes...it's customer service like this that makes me come back...constantly!
stagemanageralan said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Oops! I haven't even looked at mine. I'll let you know tonight if they arrived in proper Zombie condition. Another stellar example of customer service though, before I even know there may be a problem, you have a solution!
shadowsrider said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! This is another example of why ThinkGeek should win every customer service award ever. I bought tea from them a year or so ago, and it got seized by customs. Most stores would shrug and say it was my own fault, but these guys not only refunded me, but refunded shipping as well. All other companies should take note on how to treat their customers.
Nerdfury said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I, like many others, was not a lucky purchaser of the delicious zombie bunnie when it made it's arrival into the real world. However, if I were and this happened to me...I would have laughed at the melty, more decomposed, still delicious version of what it was. Then, I would have been greatly happy to know that if I were truly upset you would fix it. You are amazing, and like so many others have said- that is one great example of why I buy from you.
Chibspazininja said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Mine also came in pretty good shape - I would advise though to find a way to shrink wrap the box since it is a food product. I am assuming it is OK to eat for this year though and will soon be without a head in any case
Donnadoctor said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! LOL I didn't order a zombie bunny, but I can't stop laughing! #1. Your integrity is awesome. Keep it up. #2. I seriously think that the bunny on the right looks more *accurate* for a zombie bunny! If I had ordered such a bunny and that is how it arrived I would have kept it! And laughed the entire time!
Celli said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I must agree, the customer service is exemplary! Many other companies would have just shrugged and said "oops" and done nothing. Way to go Thinkgeek, this is why I keep coming back too. :)
ZeldaMoon said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! When I emailed about my melted bunny, I was only venting. But I appreciated the refund. The puddle-o-bunny will still be in the kid's basket. And, I think you're right about my delivery driver drop kicking the box! Anyway, it was apparently so hot on the ups truck that my Dali clock melted, too. oh... wait...
wRitErsbLock77 said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Way to make "zombies" into "zombieade" YOU GUYS ROCK!!
cgmomma04 said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! They were sold out before I got mine in, but LOVE your commitment customer service!! As always, you folks rock!
Wulfiee said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Major props to customer service for how this has been handled. I missed both ordering windows thus far and have to admit, I'd probably have been HAPPIER to receive the post-apocalyptic version than the standard one. Oh well, I guess I can wait until they're available again and make it a DIY project!
DedlyEdly said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I didn't order the zombie bunny either, but I'd just like to jump on the "I Love Your Customer Service" bandwagon. Oh, and as someone upthread suggested -- I would TOTALLY order zombie Peeps! Next year, please???
nancy13g said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I agree with FishRockette... I didn't order one (though I was tempted), but this kind of customer service is what every company should strive for. Thank you for being fantastic.
curegirl0421 said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! What everyone else said. You guys are one in a million. When my Tardis mug arrived chipped, you replaced it, no question asked. And while I'm not the recipient (sadly) of a Zombie Bunneh, you are taking care of those who were. This is why I keep coming back. Happy Easter, y'alls!
zombiejulie said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I will order some next winter if they are still available to take to our annual rabbit hunting camp.Thanks Think Geek! You rock!
PotatoBully said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Class act ThinkGeek. Good customer service is more valuable than punting the blame. If my annoy-a-tron turns out to be merely-irritating-and-somewhat-frustrating-a-tron; I know you guys will stand behind it. Kudos
GFB5 said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Yeah one of my bunnies arrived fine the other took a bit of shipping damage (top of the ear chip), but it was minor enough. Though I have to agree with another commenter that it really looked like my delivery guy kicked the box/dropped it on its end a few times, so I'm surprised that the only damage was an ear chip.
Kilyaka said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Seee!! THIS is why I love you guys....No blaming of the disfigured Zombie Bunnies on "circumstances beyond our control". You too the bull by the horns, or rather the bunny by the ears, manned/Zombied up and are making it right. And THAT my friends is what we like to call....customer service! Eat that Zombies!!
Dede-squared said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I got 2. One survived, the other lost his/her head. Do I really have to go print up label, pack up box and wait in line at post office just to get a $15 refund. So not worth the time
Junglerock said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! It's been said already, and I didn't order one either, but this kind of response is exactly why you guys rock. Nicely done, and I'm sure those who won't get a replacement on time understand and appreciate the honesty.
hotaine said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Can I just mention that if, say, 30 years ago, someone told me that I'd be reading an entirely accurate article about how someone poorly shipped zombie Easter bunnies, I'd have thought, well, I don't know what I would have thought. I think you guys are messing with what's left of my sanity. :-)
murphy mouse said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! Junglerock, we're not asking for the Zombie Bunnies back before giving the refund--just give us a call at 1-888-GEEKSTUFF or live chat on the site. No post office line, no additional fee. If you've already contacted us and a Customer Service monkey told you that, they were very much mistaken!
CarrieGouldin said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! I'm going to start by saying that I didn't order a Zombie Bunny but Timmy and the rest of the Think Geek squad did an awesome job by handling the shipping problem this way. Stuff like this why I'm a loyal customer to you all at TG!
FrozenPhreak207 said this 1193 days ago.
meaningless icon! This is one of the many reasons I like ThinkGeek even though I didn't order a bunny (sadly). Nice to see real customer service. Now,, if they had used their transporter like I had suggested before in a feedback review this wouldn't have been a problem. Incidentally I like the on on the right better.
alkem said this 1192 days ago.
meaningless icon! I dunno. Maybe just re-brand them "rabid rabbits"?
Johnnie O. said this 1192 days ago.
meaningless icon! Way to serve as customer advocate examples for the rest of the retail industry. Go TG! When you do figure it all out, Zombie Turkeys, Zombie Reindeer and Santa and Elves, Zombie Cupids....I'm picturing "A Year Of Holiday Zombies" - would make a great gift subscription.
FirecatSue said this 1192 days ago.
meaningless icon! Nice job guys! LoL But this is what keeps bringing me back, the excellent customer service....The items purchased only come in second :)
NxPhotos said this 1192 days ago.
meaningless icon! i think its really great that thinkgeek.com is able to accept their mistake and then fix it. its also great that we can all laugh about it now.
chadillac2393 said this 1192 days ago.
meaningless icon! Wow, way to go ThinkGeek! As so many others have said, this kind of awesome response and customer service is a big part of why I come back to ThinkGeek time and time again. Its a total bonus that the guy is a complete geek and LOVES your stuff. Love you guys and put me down for a Zombie bunny next year. ;)
RachieZ said this 1192 days ago.
meaningless icon! your customer service truly rocks
orlop said this 1192 days ago.
meaningless icon! I don't have the words to appreciate the ability of ThinkGeek to turn a bad into a good. I love that you publicize your mistakes to this level, make it up to your customers and promise to fix the problems in the future. It's like values congruence grew a tail.
rjproie said this 1192 days ago.
meaningless icon! Niiice ThinkGeek! You guys are much better than Sony when it comes to Customer Service. DARN U SONY!!!!!
TheWordMaster said this 1190 days ago.
meaningless icon! I may not have ordered but this is an awesome way to respond. Seriously if this happened in any other big company it would have only been a quick "sorry". You rule thinkgeek Amen.
who cares about nicknames said this 1190 days ago.
meaningless icon! I wish I would have had the opportunity to order a bunny, as I live out East, and the weather has been crappy enough that it may have made it to me intact. I think this would be a cute candy to be available for Halloween as well, so you may want to consider stepping up the fixes a bit, and have it ready for then, when the weather should be a lot cooler everywhere :D
Clee1972 said this 1189 days ago.
meaningless icon! Great customer service! Also how about maybe a photo contest of the most zombified bunny? Send in your entries!
astcell said this 1189 days ago.
meaningless icon! Mine was perfect and we loved it. But y'all rock. This is why I'm more than a customer I'm an honest to cthulhu fan.
scarynetworkguy said this 1187 days ago.
meaningless icon! We really need the link to the Customer Action Shot of the FrankenZombie Bunny. I can't seem to find it on the site. Please give us our daily dose of Customer Shots, zombie style!
java_woman said this 1185 days ago.
meaningless icon! Saw a couple of guys on Facebook bringing this up to to you guys. Didn't realize it was that widespread of a problem. Good to see you guys not only taking care of it, but making a public announcement and apology regarding the situation? You guys rock!
KEWB said this 1180 days ago.
meaningless icon! Good job with this guys, Great company
That guy with the face. said this 1179 days ago.
meaningless icon! this is my first day looking at think geek stuff but already it rocks! The stuff on here if very funny
TacoHawke said this 1172 days ago.
meaningless icon! <3
Vihvs said this 1148 days ago.