May
2010

Geek Heroines to the rescue

Marie CurieAda Lovelace

We're not gonna lie: we have some outspoken, intelligent, and sometimes intimidatingly geeky women here at ThinkGeek HQ.

That might have had something to do with our recently-launched series of Heroines t-shirts, starting with Ada Lovelace (who invented computer programming) and Marie Curie (who glowed in the dark).

We do what we must because we can.

Apparently other geeky girls were delighted with them too--and, even better, boys as well! We should've known. So we're currently working on printing them up for the dudes who would prefer to not wear babydoll t-shirts. Thanks for your patience (and restraint), guys.

And because there appears to be such a need--nay, a demand--for historical geek heroines on your torsos, this series will continue, and each time we launch a new shirt we'll give $1 per sale to charity for the first month. (Right now we're giving to Girl Effect. Check 'em out; they do good work.)

All this means we need more ideas for future Heroines t-shirts, and we'd like to hear from you so we don't miss any historical girl geeks.

UPDATE 8/2 3:20pm: Curie and Lovelace for boys exist! And we've added Mary Shelley to the roster as of today. We'll have dudes styles in soon, too.

We're excited about this series and hope we can keep it going for a long time, so thanks for your suggestions!

Comments

meaningless icon! Can they be fictional characters?
Lake Rat said this 1520 days ago.
meaningless icon! How about heroes in this style too? The style of these t-shirts are awesome. How about Freddy Williams and Tom Kilburn, the creators of The Small-Scale Experimental Machine (The Baby), the first stored-program computer and it's memory device within. Without them, we'd be re-wiring computers each time we wanted to perform a different task.
j616s said this 1520 days ago.
meaningless icon! Lake Rat, No--we're going for real, historical ladies.
CarrieGouldin said this 1520 days ago.
meaningless icon! Margaret Mead! If it hadn't been for her pioneering work in liberating women's rights, then our "outspoken, intelligent, and sometimes intimidatingly geeky women" would be anything but.
Garaux said this 1520 days ago.
meaningless icon! As a chick who doesn't fit in babydoll shirts, I'm pleased to see that you'll be making them available in your regular size range as well. Thanks!
Kshandra said this 1520 days ago.
meaningless icon! This is moderately irrelevant, but I'd love to see the Maria Skłodowska-Curie in black. Even for a double price. I really want that shirt but raspberry is not my color. Black is though :) So, how bout offer the guys' versions in black too? Or both styles in pretty colors and in black? I'm willing to pay here, guys. Willing to pay.
Plazmus said this 1520 days ago.
meaningless icon! I'd like to nominate Mary Anning: British paleontologist. Her contributions included icthyosaurs, plesiosaurs and the discoveries that linked ancient and modern cephalopods :)
jpsherman said this 1520 days ago.
meaningless icon! Come on, no Elizabeth Cady Stanton? What better game to rock back in the day but the pen-and-paper ballot? ;P
TätowierungEngel said this 1520 days ago.
meaningless icon! If Amelia Earhart wins, will the shirt include the Briori starship that abducted her?
Merennulli said this 1520 days ago.
ME-MANIA-sama said this 1519 days ago.
meaningless icon! I think a lovely blue-green would have been more appropriate for the Curie shirt. Wouldn't mind seeing it in that color.
Izioie said this 1519 days ago.
meaningless icon! Barbara Liskov - the first woman in the US to get a PhD in computer science. She also won the Turing Award in 2008.
Alison Heittman said this 1519 days ago.
meaningless icon! @j616s The men get the Nobels. Let the ladies at least get the t-shirts. I love these, except the robin's egg blue on Ada. ;)
Another Liz said this 1519 days ago.
meaningless icon! As a point of vanity: I would really love to see these with the patterns moved higher up the shirt. As much as I love them to pieces, I'm unenthused about making my hips and belly the focal point of my outfit.
Andrhia said this 1519 days ago.
meaningless icon! Seconding Kshandra on being glad that you'll make the shirts available to those of us who don't fit in the tiny babydoll fit. Of course, if you could look into making shaped shirts that also do not run teeny-tiny, for those of us who aren't babydoll-sized...that would be even better :) And I'd also love to see these prints on, say, decals for walls, or tote bags. Or maybe special-edition Bags of Holding...
Chaoticfluffy said this 1519 days ago.
meaningless icon! Hi, I love the idea of these shirts. I've voted for Grace Hopper (first computer bug) Other suggestions: James Miranda Stuart Barry (first woman doctor in the british army... sortof... http://www.famouscanadianwomen.com/famous%20firsts/medical%20professionals.htm) Val Tereshkova (first woman in space) Sue Hendrickson (discovered "Sue" the most complete T Rex skeleton)
aab_123 said this 1519 days ago.
meaningless icon! @Merennulli... YESSSSS, that would be wicked.
Stiph said this 1519 days ago.
meaningless icon! need hats, i can see Amr grace hopper in navy blue and gold sramble eggs
richindi57 said this 1518 days ago.
meaningless icon! I LOVE these shirts!! I can't wait for more to come out!
creepyed said this 1518 days ago.
meaningless icon! Heddy Lamar - cell phones wouldn't be around without her
DOHBOYz said this 1516 days ago.
meaningless icon! How about Hedy Lammar, the actress that co-invented spread spectrum communications, which gave us the platform for what we now call Wi-Fi? Both beauty AND brains!
vadare said this 1512 days ago.
meaningless icon! Oh, btw, can we start seeing these t-shirts in children's sizes, too? I'd rather my young nieces have these ladies on their shirts than some pre-pubescent pop star.
vadare said this 1512 days ago.
meaningless icon! How about Dr. Jane Goodall?? She has really advanced our understanding of chimps!!
Mn-Vixen said this 1512 days ago.
meaningless icon! How about Hilary Mason? hilarymason.com A modern heroine for modern women.
Cybe R. Wizard said this 1512 days ago.
meaningless icon! For what it's worth, I love my t-shirts to come in color, and I think these colors are great! I respect the opinions of others, but my drawer looks so boring when everything in it is black. Keep up the awesome work; I'm totally spending some birthday monies on these!
MissAuroram said this 1511 days ago.
meaningless icon! Consider Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson, aka Madame de Pompadour. One of the most brilliant women in recorded history, AND she has a dedicated Doctor Who episode!
Zmogyls39 said this 1505 days ago.
meaningless icon! How about Majel Roddenberry! She influenced the Sci-fi world, which has become the modern day world!
Cymoril said this 1497 days ago.
meaningless icon! Oh! To have a Blackwell shirt!!! I've had to try explaining who she is since I was in the 7th grade.
Poetgrl said this 1489 days ago.
meaningless icon! I would like to cast my vote for Jane Austen. I know she is not a scientist, but I think she is one of the greatest writers of all times, and she is a woman, from Regency (that's pre-Victorian) England no less! Also, let us not forget that she was the original author of such ThinkGeek classics as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies & Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. Thanks ThinkGeek Guys! I love your stuff, and this is another GREAT idea!
deedeebug said this 1489 days ago.
meaningless icon! I second whoever said Jane Goodall. I Was disappointed that McAullife was there, but no Sally Ride, the FIRST female astronaut.
elixir25 said this 1450 days ago.
meaningless icon! TEMPLE GRANDIN!!! please. (: She's changed the medical world's view of what it is to be Austistic and what Austistic people are really capable of doing. She's broken glass cealings for women and for people who are Austistic/have Asperger's. She's also a technical designer. Without her today's meat industry wouldn't be nearly as effective or humane for the animals!(Thinkgeek loves Bacon!)
Music Doodle said this 1449 days ago.
meaningless icon! Seconding the request for kids sizes, I have two little girls (9 and 19 months) and I would love to get them these shirts. My nine year old covets my Marie Curie shirt and also wants to request Helen Keller. You are still producing new ones, right? If this line has been abandoned I shall have to cry myself to sleep tonight.
Amethyste said this 1201 days ago.