Feb
2010

Operation Guillaume: Tribbles, Princess Bride Debriefing

A few weeks ago we launched Operation Guillaume to educate our new singe codeur français in American geekery. We didn't know where to start so we asked you guys to vote on which movies he should see.

Last Friday, we had our first brainwashing screening, and we chose to show "The Trouble with Tribbles," Schoolhouse Rock classics "Conjunction Junction" and "I'm Just a Bill," and The Princess Bride.

Guillaume's mission debriefing follows.

Trouble with the Tribbles*

* [Ed. Yes, he got this wrong--should be "The Trouble with Tribbles"--but it's too cute so we're leaving it.]

Let me start by saying that I'm glad that the clothing style from the 60s is not around anymore. If one day I have to create a galactic federation/republic/empire, I'll want my people to inspire fear. I know I'm disappointing our resident Trekkies but really, fear first. Then comfortable pajamas and mini-skirts.

That said, Star Trek isn't unenjoyable, far from it. This episode was quite similar to an old-style Columbo in that you sort of know what the end result is going to be from the beginning ("50% of a Tribble's metabolism is geared towards reproduction" gives you strong clues), but you don't know how the characters are going to find it out.

Also, it's important to note that what you watch influences what you see. After watching this, I couldn't help but notice people wearing red shirts, after Jacob explained me that the red shirts are pretty much expendable. Fortunately, just as nobody died in Trouble with the Tribbles [Ed. Except for the tribbles!?], my Saturday went without incident, thank you.

Conjunction Junction and I'm Just a Bill

Pretty funny, but I don't think I have the connection to it that most people who watched it when they were kids now have.

I've had the "conjunction function, what's your function" tune in the head for about a day though, so it's working. Next thing you know, I'll be hooked on phonics and lose my accent.

[Ed. Unlikely.]

The Princess Bride

Awesome dialogues! I should have watched this movie a long time ago!

My preferred quotes are probably:

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

"Inconceiveable"
"I do not think it means what you think it means."

"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

Also, it certainly improves both my geekness and my ability to work at ThinkGeek (they go hand in hand, don't they?):

Before:
         Guillaume: I refactored 3 librairies yesterday.
         Jacob: INCONCEIVABLE!
         Guillaume: [blank stare]

After:
         Guillaume: I refactored 3 librairies yesterday.
         Jacob: INCONCEIVABLE!
         Guillaume: I do not think it means what you think it means.

So, what will we watch next? Guillaume would like to see Office Space because we quote it so often, though Star Wars (but which, and in what order?) and Back to the Future figured higher in our poll.

What would you foist next upon our test subject?

Comments

meaningless icon! Ok, Star Wars, in order of production, Original Trilogy and then the Prequels (if he wants to see them). Other than that, Serenity at least. Though the most often quoted movie among my geek friends (after Star Wars and Princess Bride) is definitely Ghostbusters.
Aikisenshi said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! The Big Lebowski, of course. Quite possibly the most quotable movie ever.
Phelps said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! The Dude abides, Phelps.
CarrieGouldin said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! The original Star Wars, and make sure you get the one in which Han shoots first! The reworked edition is just criminal. Maybe save Empire and Return of the Jedi for later, all three at once might be overkill. The prequels aren't really worthy of must see status.
cuttlefish said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! definitely the original SW and Office Space for a bit of a break. but then go to Firefly (and then Serenity).
enderFP said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! I agree with A New Hope, for sure. That should probably come next. Office Space, Back to the Future, and Ghostbusters are a MUST, if he is to truly join us geeks.
bloosusan said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! I definitely recommend watching Star Wars in the order they were released. The original trilogy is much more suspenseful that way. Back to the Future is also great! Lord of the Rings also needs to be on the list if he hasn't seen that.
StevoBaggins said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! MST3K Manos: Hands of Fate! (too much with both soundtracks?) Shaun of the Dead I think Star Wars is probably the most logical choice. Mostly so that you can follow it up with Spaceballs.
Katie Compa said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Office Space is a must!
ZeroBlue5 said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! make him watch Willow just cuz it's so fun!
fabgeekling said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! I agree, "Star Wars" (also known as "A New Hope" or "Episode IV") should be first, and most definitely the original theatrical release. No matter what anyone says, Han shot first.
MissMoMo said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! My suggestions: Star Wars (in the order they came out), Back to the Future, Lord of the Rings, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog...
StevoBaggins said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Apart from the movies mentioned above, all my geek friends quote Monty Python, especially Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Why, I just mentioned the flight speed of swallows today in an online game's chat, and got an appropriate reply ("laden or unladen?").
AdaJoy said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! If he jhas no knowledge of Star Wars, I would start from E1 only because I do think they would be better when you arent expecting the kind of masterpiece the original trilogy is, Someone mentioned Serenity. NO SERENITY UNTIL AFTER WATCHING ALL 14 EPISODES of Firefly. Without the series, you can't appreciate Serenity the way it it was meant to be appreciated. Can't say why because Guillaume may be reading this >.>
Xanhorn said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Not being a movie geek myself, I have also never seen Office Space (but have movie-date-night with my sweetie on Wednesday & the disc from Netflix). Nor Ghostbusters. Apparently Guillaume and I are on the same page. So, I vote Star Wars (before the Darth Tater on the bookshelf force-chokes me), followed by Office Space (as it's new territory for me too--join me in ADVENTURE!). Failing that, just assign numbers to the various choices and roll dice, guys. Someone must be wearing that d20 necklace. ;)
Sarianna said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! I think, for a laugh and because my friends are all going crazy over it since scored it on DVD finally, you should definitely watch Galaxy Quest. Simply because it manages to celebrate and parody the scifi genre all in the same movie. Not to mention the irony of Sigourney Weaver (I'm going to assume you've seen Alien) playing a stereotypical scifi girl whose TV guide interview was "six paragraphs about my boobs and how they fit into my suit"
Dallirious said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! those are all good choices, what about mad max?
Zaerion said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! I'd also add - Groundhog Day, Caddyshack, and Stripes, to round out the Bill Murray canon - Wargames, for early "geeks in the movies" - Ferris Bueller, maybe - Animal House
stattenf said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! I concur, Office Space. Although I'd also like to suggest Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - A cult classic, with Neo (Keanu Reeves), and time travel. I expect Guillaume's vocabulary will change drastically as well...
brycec said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Really, really need to include Galaxy Quest, to further expand on the red-shirt expendability theme.
knwd said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Don't they have movies in France? I think it would be especially delightful if you'd foist something limey on him, like "The IT Crowd."
FiveofFive said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! I'm with @fabgeekling -- deffo have him watch Willow. Oh, and Congo. *Have some cake. HAVE SOME*
RaDragon said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Office Space, and Firefly/Serenity, and Back To The Future. Then something like Mulan, just to mess with his mind. "Come on, it's a geek CLASSIC!"
Jesso3.14 said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! MST3K, pretty much any episodes you can find. (My personal favourites: Space Mutiny, and The Pumaman.) Alternately, Riff Trax. Other mentionables: Ghostbusters, Short Circuit, The Neverending Story. (With my real-life name as shown above, the latter may be a matter of bias on my part...)
Bastian said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Go with Star Wars next. Then pick any Mel Brooks Film. After that, give him a small dose of Kung Pow! Then bring him back home with a classic TechTV programming (none of that G4 crap), maybe Call for Help, or an early episode of AotS.
Rez Delnava said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Willow is always fun "I Dwell in darkness without you and IT WENT AWAY?!" Also star wars before office space.
Persephone86 said this 1617 days ago.
StevoBaggins said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! Have to support Firefly/Serenity as well. SO many good quotes to throw around, like the classics "We're not going to die. You want to know why? Because we are so, very, pretty", "Mine is an evil laugh", and the always useful reply to a normal person going "You're out of your mind" Reply: That's between me and my mind. Talk like a Browncoat day...anyone know when Unification Day was? Perfect day for Talk Like A Browncoat
ndRogue said this 1617 days ago.
meaningless icon! I gotta go with Office Space and Ghostbusters next, just for the sheer wealth of quotable lines. And I second some classic MST3K. "12 to the Moon" would be great for the wretched stereotypes.
Pamster said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! If you do decide to show him the Star Wars Saga, make it order-of-production and show him the original theatrical releases of the Original Trilogy. On VHS if you have to.
Rogh-sensei said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! A Knight's Tale..."There is a shortage of perfect breasts in the world."
MaggieZ said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! I agree with above and he especially needs exposure to Monty Python. I'd also suggest someone give him a copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He needs to know about Ford, Arthur, and 42. As long as we're in Britain, has he seen Doctor Who?
Tabbymom Jen said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! Wow, what to suggest.... Doctor Who (old and new series), Blake's 7, Plan 9 From Outer Space, various anime (Akira or Vampire Hunter D, for examples), Dark City, the Matrix movies (the 1st one anyway), all 3 Evil Dead movies, and many many more....
MrBill68 said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! I'm italian so maybe not authorized to teach american geekery to a french guy :) but I'd suggest The Goonies!!! The pillar of my geeky childhood!
Silly.Symphony said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! I must say excellent selection for the first three. The movie me and my friends quote more than any other is Monty Python's Holy Grail. We can almost quote it from beginning to end with out a TV in sight.
egag21 said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! Don't forget about Red vs Blue, specially if he's a gamer of any sort. Very funny. :D I must also add that he should see ST:Voyage Home for some great quotes, ie: "Admiral, there be whales here!" As for order of SW movies, I say ONLY 4, 5 & 6...with Han shooting first. I also vote for Willow, GalaxyQuest and Firefly (before Serenity).
Shenshen said this 1616 days ago.
StevoBaggins said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! Oops...didn't mean to submit that last one twice. I concur on Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Galaxy Quest, though...
StevoBaggins said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! I would definitely vote for Dr. Horrible - Also Army of Darkness 2. Lots of good quotes from that....
fdegman said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! I don't know about next, but once he's got several great space films under his belt, he needs to watch Galaxy Quest.
FloraJL said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! Highly recommend the movie Airplane! Very funny and very quotable, such as "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."
Kristen35 said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! Highly recommend Airplane!
Kristen35 said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! Office Space and Spaceballs are essential for the geek education. I would also agree that Galaxy Quest is a definite. But what about Beerfest or something obscurely geek-filled (yet with murdering themes) like Gross Point Blank. Or better yet--Mallrats!
Wenchmatic said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! why not something off the wall like time bandits
crentify said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! As a French fellow I protest! Guillaume should make you watch super-evil french movies. In order to feel the dark side of the comedy he should make you watch 1- les bronzés font du ski I think there is an english version in the collector DVD. 2- mais où est donc passé la septième compagnie? Somekind of a ... Lets say... War movie... 3- la grande vadrouille 4 - fantomas 5- la soupe aux choux and then you will know what real evil dialogue is. I can also give you some great french movie if you want good lined but it would no longer be the dark side of the "french geeky prout-prou pouet-pouet cinema". As for his learning, I'ld probably go with MST3K too as we hadn't the oportunity to see this masterpiece of TV in France. You should also try the goonies, neverending story and Conan!
Makomako said this 1616 days ago.
meaningless icon! SW the originals - he should love Leia's hair - Monty Python and the holy grail is a must. Then, anything with zombies in it.
Kinkynna said this 1615 days ago.
meaningless icon! Office Space, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, then Star Wars, all six. Yes the original three are the best, but the later three are fun eyecandy. (I am proud to admit that all four of my children can quote ad nauseum from Star Wars. We never watched Barney, Dora or Blue at our house!)
Angela Pea said this 1615 days ago.
meaningless icon! I don't believe anyone has said Young Frankenstien! Sure, Spaceballs is a must after Star Wars but if we are talking Mel Brooks, come on!
PurplePea said this 1615 days ago.
meaningless icon! Spaceballs and The Monster Squad. If not then have him watch The Goonies and do the Truffle-Shuffle
Meandro said this 1615 days ago.
meaningless icon! while he is getting an E ticket, send him to see CAPTAIN EO
lynnsmom said this 1615 days ago.
meaningless icon! Please tell me <u>Airplane!</u> is on the list. It's an entirely different movie altogether.
Ras-Algethi said this 1614 days ago.
meaningless icon! Have him read Moby Dick and then watch The Wrath of Khan.
Quods said this 1612 days ago.
meaningless icon! Life of Brian, lord of the rings, all episodes of monty pythons flying cirus,Starwars 4 5 6 1 2 3(in order they were released), ghostbusters,back to the future and office space in that order
Aeam said this 1612 days ago.
meaningless icon! Why not have him watch some old X-Files (Pilot, Squeeze, and the one about gargoyles and serial killers, and definitely the episode about the murderous video game where once again Scully has to rescue Mulder), throw in a little Twilight Zone ("To Serve Man" is a great one, and has some cryptography thrown in the mix), and some Ray Bradbury Theater (just to mess with his head some).
CrookedNail said this 1611 days ago.
meaningless icon! Firefly definitly, then Serenity. "Jayne, your mouth is talking, you might want to look to that" Then, dare I say it....."Real Genius" for a sense of how American culture views geeks.
RedChloe said this 1610 days ago.
meaningless icon! How about the spoofiest spoof of all space movies, SPACEBALLS!
haroldratliff said this 1608 days ago.
meaningless icon! Brainstorm (1983) Those who know it understand. Those who don't, just watch it. Rick
rick.sheeley said this 1607 days ago.
meaningless icon! Has everybody forgotten one of the greatest quotable movies ever? Evil Dead!
Chinstrap said this 1601 days ago.
meaningless icon! Evil Dead and Army of Darkness
Chinstrap said this 1601 days ago.
meaningless icon! France is not North Korea. He's hardly likely to be unaware of Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, or Back to the Future. Big-name pictures get heavy marketing there too, and the headliners at the theater in Paris will be the same ones on the marquee in Los Angeles. English is so widespread that probably half the time movies are noted as "V.O." for "version originale," meaning no overdubs for translation. That said, we should stick to quirkier, idiomatic things that aren't likely to have made as big a splash over there, or things with jokes that non-Americans won't get. How many people not from these shores would know what the gag is when Mary's old boyfriend Brett shows up at the end of "There's Something About Mary," then has his name mispronounced? Three thumbs up for The Big Lebowski!
Repomancer said this 1601 days ago.
meaningless icon! Man I'm showing my age, but no one has suggested any Mel Brooks movies. Blazing Saddles at least, and probably Young Frankenstein as well. I'm going to agree with the general Firefly sentiment and the Star Wars original trilogy. He's seen Star Trek, so we need to get some SW in there to round him out.
Coraxonyx said this 1600 days ago.
meaningless icon! Dear Complainants, We of Her Majesty's Guillaume Film Education Council have reviewed your complaint and we find in your favor. Our sincerest apologies to you and to all aficionados of Mr. Melvin Brooks and his work. To use one of your modernisms, we are unaware of the method by which Mr. Brooks "slipped under our R.A.D.A.R." and shall make amends at our next commencement. Yours Most Sincerely, Jacob A. Codemonkey, Esq. H.M.G.F.E.C. Majordomo
Jacob said this 1597 days ago.