Nov
2008

Top 8 geeky childhood moments (squeeee!)

There's deep, dark, perhaps embarrassing connection that all us geeks share. It's that first moment when we realized just how special we really were, and that only a handful of people would ever understand our irrational love of sci-fi and boot floppies.

mariokids.jpg

Photo by smgee

So, with the launch of our new Geek Kids category, we thought we'd ask our Twitter friends for their best geeky childhood moment in a single @thinkgeek tweet. Originally the prize was a single $25 gift certificate, but the response was so overwhelming (and wonderful) that we expanded the field to 4 winners.

We received a total of 170 entries, all of them unique and beautiful snowflakes; Timmy had his judging work cut out for him. The top four winners are below, followed by runners-up that are too good spin out in the Twitter vortex unloved:

Winners:

Best first geek moment
firepile: When I was a wee babe, my parents waited for my first word. My sister's was "Daddy."  Mine? "Batman." That's when they knew.

Geekiest parent
shaebay: My mom was playing Mario when she went into labor with me, and didn't go to the hospital until she had completed the level

Best Mario + fire moment
benjamingeiger: Playing Super Mario Brothers at age 6-ish. House catches on fire. I keep playing until my dad picks me up and carries me out.

Most ridiculously sublime
angiek42: I wrote a Star Trek: The Next Generation musical when I was 13. I still have the book and audiotape of music I made.

Runners-up who won warm fuzzies and our admiration, but no actual prize:

Evilest use of geekitry
xpatch: got my 486 to page me via 14.4 a random 4 digit code when the mouse moved and play the CD over 15" sub's My sister was so mad

Cutest geekitry
Wiggly: I remember my dad bringing the Intellivision computer module home one night. I spent all night coding a pic of my cat in BASIC.

Geekiest parent no. 2
heatherirvin: My dad and I made coffee table size maps of all the dungeons in NES: Deadly Towers w/ full detail of what was inside every room.

Should be embarrassed (but probably isn't)
Xial: TRS-80 on last legs, friend+me put out of misery w/bb guns. bb to monitor bounces, nails me in junk, knocks wind out of me. Ow.

If you want in on our next Twitter contest, follow @thinkgeek (or @thinkgeekspam, for product updates only). Got a contest idea or hints on how to share without retweeting 40 times during the day? Don't be shy!

And if you have a geekling in your life that needs a little reinforcement on this most special of life's paths, we actually have kid-centric stuff now. If you can't find what you're looking for, or want to suggest ideas for mini-geek products, we'd lurve to hear from you.

Comments

meaningless icon! test!
Jen said this 2078 days ago.
meaningless icon! Contest was awesome, those should happen more often ^_^
Shiyiya said this 2078 days ago.
meaningless icon! Yay! I am an almost winnar!
Wiggly said this 2078 days ago.
meaningless icon! AWESOME!
Dash said this 2077 days ago.
meaningless icon! Reading those makes me feel a little better about my life. Thanks. :D
HiddenFromEyes said this 2077 days ago.
meaningless icon! Ahhhh... It gives me warm fuzzies to know that I am not the only one... =] PS. G33KS PWN ALL!
Frenchorama said this 2076 days ago.
meaningless icon! I know not the contest but reminds me... Dad had finished reading, "The Hobbit" out loud to us (3 girls) at bedtime. I asked him to start it over. He handed the book to me and told me to read it...took a year and I was 5 at the time...a geek was born.
HELONURS said this 2076 days ago.
meaningless icon! Too late for the comp ... but do recall putting a piece of toilet paper over a comb to make my first gazoo-like musical instrument at age 6. My first piece of music ... theme from Doctor Who ... over 40 years ago (sigh*)!
VPN said this 2062 days ago.
meaningless icon! When I was a little girl, I got a chance to sit in a talking KITT car and have pictures taken at Universal Studios. I then asked KITT why they changed Knight Rider's air time to Sunday nights. I wasn't allowed to stay up and watch TV so late the day before school.
moo2 said this 2054 days ago.
meaningless icon! Nice one guys - made me laugh! 2-3 years ago, My little brother was in the passanger seat of a car playing his gameboy advance when a car didnt give way and t-boned the car he was in. He had a broken arm and was still trying to save the game before getting out of the car! LOL! He was 12.
TechnIx said this 2053 days ago.
meaningless icon! yeah, the mario+ fire one reminds me of the time i brroke into my grandma's house to play contra with my cousin jason, and after we got caught, we played it more and beat the entire game... my grandma since gave me the NES so we wouldnt have to break in again...lol
randyman said this 2052 days ago.